Monday, August 16, 2004

The end is nigh

I have been completely awful about writing up what's gone on each day since I last posted. I'm so tired of being on this trip, and I'm just plain tired.

My mom has a snoring problem, which wouldn't bother me if I weren't sleeping in the same room with her. It's unbelievably loud, like my grandmother's, and it's just something I'm not prepared to deal with. I bought earplugs before I left Pittsburgh, and some nights they've helped, others not so much.

On top of this annoyance, I'm sleeping in the bed with Aaron, which is not the most comfortable thing either, since he flails about when he sleeps, which doesn't bother me unless he actually hits me, which has happened a bunch of times now.

I'm in Pocatello, Idaho right now, staying in yet another Best Western. We're in a B&B tonight in Boise, then a motel near the airport, and that's it for the trip. I get in at 345p on Wednesday, and it will be none too soon.

All of us are feeling it, I think. We're getting a little more annoyed with each other at stupid things than we were at the start of the trip. We all just want to go home, I think.

All in all, it's been a good trip, we haven't had too much bickering, and we did see the highlights of all of the places that we've been. This superficial treatment of the national parks is good and bad, because I know where I really want to revisit but I'm so tired of living in the car that I have little desire to get out of it (oxymoronic, I know, but spend a couple weeks in the car and I promise you'll have little desire to do anything but stay in one place for a while, even if it's still in or near the car).

If I could go back in time, would I change how things went? Yes, most definitely. Either not going at all, or making sure Sarah came with. I would also prefer a trip where the dogs went (though that would have been tough on this trip, because of the flying). I think having the dogs along would have been a blast at so many of the places that we've been (though particularly the beach).

I'm still gonna try to write up what happened on the rest of the days, I'll post that when I do, but I have a feeling that's not really gonna happen until I get on a plane on Wednesday, or I get home.

No comments: