Friday, April 11, 2008

I can't quite go home

When I lived in Austin, I used to travel for Learning Tree quite a bit. As a result, I flew out of Austin all the time, and when I arrived back in Austin, the smell of the airport is what welcomed me home. The Austin airport is all one terminal, so all of the restaurants smells mingled with whatever other smells there were (it was a new airport at the time, too, so maybe that had something to do with it) to form this smell that I knew of as "arriving home."

When I've visited in the past, I've always noticed that the smell was still the same, and it gave me that same "arriving home" feeling as it did when I lived here. It was actually something that I looked forward to when I got off the jetway.

I'm in Austin this weekend, and when I arrived the other night, I noted that the airport no longer smelled exactly the same way as it had; it was similar, like a variation on a theme, but definitely not the same. While I don't live here and may never live here again, it makes me a little bit sad that there's one fewer place that reminds me of "home."

No comments: