Thursday, June 17, 2004

A facsimile of me

My fax machine no longer works, and I just don't know it. I send cover letter, resume, and writing sample using my fax machine and I never get a response.

I wonder if the firms even get blank pages printing out on their fax machine. Maybe 7 pages of nothing comes out on the other side. Maybe it's fitting that they're blank pages. Maybe their fax machines are smart enough not to waste the paper (since they probably put at least my phone number on the top of the page). Maybe there's no record of me at all printing out on the other side of the phone line.

This is somehow more comforting than knowing that they've gotten all that shit from me, they've looked at it, at least superficially, and thrown it in the trash.

The only problem is the fact that I did get that interview last month. The one where he didn't ask me any questions and was on the phone for 8 out of the 20 minutes I spent in his office. The one where I paid $6 for parking. The one that completely wasted my time and made me wish he hadn't even bothered scheduling me for an interview. That one confirmed it. I just get thrown in the trash.

On the bright side of things, I guess my fax works.

No comments: