Thursday, July 22, 2004

Asking the tough questions

I'm not afraid to do it. Let's challenge the normal thinking about tough subjects, subjects that we all care about, we all think about, that we all have opinions about. I'll get us started, you go next.

Are there dumber people in America than the people who show up for Wheel of Fortune? I don't believe so. Tonight, they guy who spun the wheel first, a writer, guessed "Y" as his first letter. Now, being a writer, I'd think he'd know which letters are a little more common than others and choose a little more wisely than "Y." On top of this awful guess, the first word in the puzzle was "_____'_". Do you really need to be told that "S" would be a pretty good guess for this puzzle? I guess he did.

While on the subject of Wheel, we should also talk about the whole "buying a vowel" thing. In case you don't know how it works, the contestants can spend $250 to "buy" a vowel. If the vowel is not a letter found in that puzzle, they lose their turn. Fair enough. Either way, they lose the $250. That's what rankles me about the whole thing. If there was no such vowel in the puzzle, there was nothing to buy. It seems a little unfair to charge them for the vowel that didn't exist. If I go to Amazon and try to buy something, but it's out of stock, I don't get charged for it. It seems patently unfair to me that they get charged for it. Then again, I suppose that it's not really their money that they're spending, it's the show's, so maybe they should be able to set their own rules.

No comments: