Thursday, April 01, 2004

Deja vu all over again.

I got an email last night from Reunion.com. For god knows what reason, I punched in my information on classmates.com years ago, and now they send me the monthly update on how many people from Emmaus High School have signed up in the last month. They've been sending it to me for years, I don't really care, it just goes to my Yahoo! Bulk Mail (Spam) folder, and I delete it from there. No big deal.

The mail that they send out is obviously generated by a script. I can already picture the SQL query that it uses to pull the information from their database. Having said that, it should be pretty easy to customize the script a little bit. You'll see what I mean in a minute.

The subject line (the only thing I've seen of the email other than who it's from) is: "2 New Students, 0 People Looking for jdl"

Now, I didn't need to be told that no one from high school is looking for me. I knew that already. When I was in high school, no one was looking for me. 10 years later, they sure as hell aren't looking for me.

But did I need reunion.com to tell me that? Did they really have to go out of their way to tell me that I'm a pathetic loser with no remaining friends from high school? I didn't need them to point that out for me, and I can't say that it has made me any more inclined to use the services on the site.

So what I want to know is why the dipshit programmer didn't think about this when coding the script. Obviously that dipshit programmer should have realized that he also probably falls into that category, the one who gets "0 people looking for you!" emails.

Then again, that dipshit programmer might live in India. Taking a job that might have kept me out of lawschool. Oh nevermind, that makes me feel better.

No comments: