Friday, April 23, 2004

Gmail and more.

Last night, S and I went to the Rasputina concert together. Murder by Death opened for them, and they also have a cellist, though they're a little harder than Rasputina. They were ok, they showed some promise. But there's nothing that makes me want an album less than someone saying "This next song is about zombies." I thought the music was pretty good, but the vocals weren't mixed very well. That's the life of an opening band, though, I guess.

Rasputina came out and played for about an hour and a half. It's always surprising to go to a concert where the vocalist can sound as good as or better than on the studio album. But Melora sounded that way.

The audience was quite amusing. Take all of the people from high school who were uncomfortable at social events add all of the people who might have been labeled as "trenchcoat mafia," age some of them 5-15 years, and that's what the audience was. It's also not really a band you can dance to, in any way, though that's not to say some people didn't try. Well, one person, anyway. You know the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine dances? That's what this lady looked like dancing sometimes. She got really into the one song, and pretty soon legs and thumbs were flying everywhere. S laughed for a long time when I pointed out the similarity.

At one point in the show, Melora said, "We like it here, so depressing and forgotten." That pretty much sums up that part of Pittsburgh, and probably a lot of Pittsburgh, for that matter. The show was at Mr Smalls, in Millvale, this rinky-dink area of Pittsburgh North of the North side that really is depressing and forgotten.

Finals are upon me again, but that hasn't stopped me from going to a Pirates game two nights ago, and then the Rasputina concert last night. I've got jobs to apply for, mountains of Property to study, and I can't concentrate on doing those things. Other things, I've been pretty good about. School/Law related things, not so good.

Which probably means I'll be posting a lot here this weekend. :)

No comments: