Sunday, March 21, 2004

In a room full of people, still all alone.

I've had this experience many times. It's the same every time, pretty much. Only the location changes. You go somewhere, you're around other people, but their activities or their personalities don't really bring you into the group.

Over time, I've become more extroverted and it hasn't been as bad. The first experience of this that I can really remember was the first week at CMU when they had the "Clippership" cruise up and down the three rivers. That was the worst. I was stuck on a boat, at a party where I didn't really know anyone, and I was still pretty introverted at that point, so I wasn't inclined to socialize too much. I ended up sleeping for part of the cruise.

Last night's experience wasn't the same. I knew people at the party/get-together that I went to, I was socializing, I was drinking, I was not having a Clippership(tm) experience. I went more for the socializing than anything else, which I guess is an excuse, at least the day after. Beer pong was set up, and in viewing the scene, I couldn't help but think that life should have more meaning than beer pong. Obviously it doesn't, but maybe it should. We have been brought up to believe that drinking with your friends is a good time, but I can't help but think that: you're not really enjoying your friends when you're loaded (though they might be enjoying you); and that you can probably have as good a time doing other things with your friends. I guess my generation has passed me by, or maybe I just haven't found the right people yet.

No comments: