Tuesday, March 16, 2004

You know that dream where you go to school in just your underwear?

There's always one thing you forget on a trip. Usually it's something really minor, or something that you wanted to have, just for so. Sometimes it's something major.

I dress up for teaching. My young appearance doesn't give me credibility, so I try to manufacture it. I wear nice clothes. I have a nice pen. I have nice shoes.

None of this is helped when I've forgotten my garment bag. Yes, this happened once. I drove to an event in Rockville, MD, and forgot my garment bag. I could have chosen to drive back to NC from DC, but it was a 4 hour trip, so I just bought new clothes. Not as good as I normally have, but they got me through the week.

I didn't forget my garment bag this week. I have my shoes, my pen, my shirts, my pants, my belt, my ties...no wait. I don't have my ties. I forgot my damn tie bag. It's still hanging up in the closet in Pittsburgh. Way to go me.

So I had to make a trip to Target. It's on the way to work, not a big deal. Everyone looks good in a Target tie, right? Right. Sort of. As it turns out, Target doesn't sell ties. The one here is one of the "mega" Targets, and it doesn't have a single men's tie. So I had to come to work without my tie. I'll fix the situation at lunchtime, but for now, I feel so naked.

Just like that dream.

No comments: